Tierra Argentina

Chronciling my summer in Buenos Aires, Salta, and Isonza

Writing in 1612 of what is modern-day Argentina, Ruy Díaz de Guzmán called the territory "Tierra Argentina," meaning "land of silver"

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Today I went to Uruguay

June 3


Today I went to Uruguay. I got up early, hopped on an 8:30 high-speed ferry from Buenos Aires, and arrived in the tiny village of Colonia del Sacramento before 10:00 am. Colonia is an ancient colonial outpost, and has changed hands between the Portuguese and Spanish countless times over the centuries.

I really enjoyed my day in Colonia. It was a beautiful walled-in village surrounded by water on three sides. It used to be a military outpost. To visit is to step into the past. The tree-lined streets are paved with cobblestones. The houses are painted in bright colors. Half of the cars are B.N. vintage (Before Nick). It is supposedly a huge tourist trap for Buenos Aires residents fleeing the city during the summer, but since it’s cool here now, Colonia was quiet today. When I arrived this morning, the place was mostly deserted and locals where sweeping away the leaves that had fallen on the sidewalks in front of their homes. I met two nice girls from Canada, and it seemed that I ran into a ton of Germans, too. One minor disappointment: the ice cream was mediocre. The local kids had motorized bikes and were buzzing around all day. They were friendly and gave a thumbs-up. I enjoyed Colonia. It seemed like a tranquil blend of old-world Europe and Latin America.

\


1 Comments:

  • At 6:40 AM , Blogger SuzyQ said...

    MEDIOCRE ICE CREAM?!?!

    Maybe that should be your cultural exchange project. Teach them how to make delicious MooseTracks or Cookies&Cream.

    Glad you were able to remember how to speak English with the Canadian girls!

    Colonia sounds wonderful.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home